In 1972, a baseline survey was conducted, to identify the areas in which the Church could initiate interventions, in order to complement the government’s effort of eradicating poverty, hunger and illiteracy. Out of this survey, the Development Programme was created in 1973.
The main objectives of Caritas Nakuru are to:
- Facilitate the development of diocesan strategic plans in line with the vision and mission of the Diocese.
- Steer the planning, leadership, co-ordination, monitoring and evaluation of all development activities in the Diocese.
- Formulate and review appropriate policies, structures and systems that support communities through participatory and sustainable mechanisms.
- Develop the Diocese’s human resource capacity of recruiting, developing and maintaining a pool of highly qualified staff.
- Establish and maintain strong and effective linkages with the target communities, development partners, Diocesan institutions, the Civil Society other religious institutions and the government.
- Assess and document the impact of the Development Coordination Programme towards meeting Diocesan objectives and community development.
- Develop and maintain effective monitoring and evaluation mechanisms.
Since its inception, Caritas Nakuru has been spearheading community development projects that are aimed at improving and raising the livelihoods of the community members, as well as empowering them to be in charge of their own development and destiny.
Caritas Nakuru facilitates the Programmes, Parishes and institutions of the Diocese in planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of all development activities in the Diocese.
The Office is therefore a central point in regard to baseline surveys, proposal development, project implementation, monitoring and evaluation and reporting; including networking and collaboration with national, regional and international partners.
The office facilitates the co-ordination of activities and projects in fifteen diocesan Programmes and over sixty education, health and vocational training institutions in the two counties of Nakuru and Baringo.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY
Caritas Nakuru facilitates the other diocesan Programmes in targeting communities and groups of people that are needy. A participatory approach in the needs assessment is used and the target community is also involved in the development of the relevant interventions. This approach helps in creating relevance, ownership and sustainability of the projects by the target communities.